Sunday, July 14, 2013

French Ephemera: Prêt à Papier

A Paper "Pompadour"

It's no secret that I love this dress. I've blogged about it in Fabulous Fashion and I've worn the virtual version in Second Life, so you can imagine my delight to find this paper version looking out at me from the pages of Victoria Magazine.


Marquise de Pompadour 1756
 
That's correct, it's a paper re-creation of the dress worn by Madame de Pompadour in the painting by François Boucher!  Talk about fabulous!!
 
The artist behind this stunning piece of ephemera is Isabelle de Borchgrave and she didn't stop at the Pompadour but continues to create whole collections of couture inspired by famous paintings, grand couturiers and museum costumes.
 
Robe à la Français à Panier
 
Her work has been showcased in a number of exhibits, including Prêt à Papier at Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens and The living room of Marie Antoinette which is on permanent display at the Palace of Versailles.
 
Marie Antoinette and her Lady's Maid
 
The more research I do, the more wonderful creations I find, so I am resisting the temptation to post endless photos and instead encourage you to follow the links that I've included.
 
The art of Isabelle de Borchgrave cannot be summed up properly in just one post.
 


_____________________________________________________________

French Ephemera: Prêt à Papier by on 2013-07-14
My love affair with French Ephemera continues with the stunning creations of Isabelle de Borchgrave; whole collections of couture inspired by famous paintings, grand couturiers and museum costumes and rendered in paper!

Images: A Paper Pompadour Unknown; Marquise de Pompadour 1756 François Boucher; Robe à la Français à Panier  Rene Stoelite; Marie Antoinette and her Lady's Maid Christan Milet

Find Tatiana Dokuchic on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment